What's Eating Roanoke

Reviews and tales of eating out and grocery shopping in the Star City and the surrounding areas.

Name:
Location: Roanoke, Virginia, United States

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Frank's Pizza and Subs

In addition to being opening day here at Eating Roanoke, I've got my first review for you. With places I eat and like, you are likely to see future reviews as well. Even with two people dining, you just can't get the full sense of what a restaurant has to offer.

Today we visited Frank's Pizza and Subs at Hunting Hills Plaza. It has an inviting atmosphere with a placard of daily specials up front and the invitation to seat yourself. The seating area is pretty evenly divided between smoking and non-smoking and only superficially separated. A single smoker will "pollute" the entire dining area and, in fact, did so. It was actually part of the service staff that was smoking at the table near the cash register. This was initially off putting, but we persevered as we heard this place was pretty good.

The service was friendly and quick. I ordered the chicken parmesan sub and my partner went for the eggplant parmesan sub. Yeah, not much diversity, but it was what we were feeling like. Despite people pouring in just behind us, our food was on the table in short order and our drinks were kept re-filled.

Our subs were served in the basic wax paper lined, plastic basket accompanied with chips and pickle spears. The sandwiches themselves hot and overflowing with fillings. The chicken was your basic breaded and fried white meat, then chopped into bit sized tidbits. The tomato sauce was also quite basic with out much in the way of herbs, but perfectly tasty nonetheless. A nice layer of molten mozzarella cheese topped it all off and was encased in a wonderfully chewy, grilled sub roll. The eggplant Parmesan sub was basically the same except substitute breaded eggplant slices for chicken. The quality and portions made up for any other shortcomings.

Most subs were in the area of $5 range. Sodas were $1.50 each. And while it may seem strange to mention the sodas, I have found a wide range of experiences in what should be an universally identical item. I hate a flat or warm soda. These were perfectly carbonated and adequately iced. If it matters to you, they have the very small "pellet" ice at this location.

On the next visit, I want one of their calzones. A couple behind us ordered some and they looked great. They were about the same price as a sub, but looked huge.

Nice Touches:
extra Parmesan and pepper flakes on the table.
They even had garlic powder with the salt and pepper, which I think was a first for me.

Final Thoughts:
This place is definitely worth visiting if you haven't already; I plan to return. On the next visit, I want to try their calzone. A couple behind us ordered one and it looked great. They were about the same price as the sub, but looked even bigger.

If you are reading this Frank, I noted that everyone who came in sat in the non-smoking section. No one sat in the smoking section unless you count the waitress on a break. It might be time to rethink what the patrons want. We were close to turning right around upon entering because of that smell. Glad we didn't, but all things being equal, I'll go to the sub place without the un-asked for stench.

I'm biased in the smoking/non-smoking debate. I'll openly admit this, and will continue to mention how it effects my experiences. I feel many people really want a true non-smoking eating experience, so these people will benefit from my reviews. My opinions of the food will always remain separate, so you incorrigible smokers don't despair; I'm still your friend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Web eatingroanoke.blogspot.com