What's Eating Roanoke

Reviews and tales of eating out and grocery shopping in the Star City and the surrounding areas.

Name:
Location: Roanoke, Virginia, United States

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Nawab

I have now eaten at the two currently existing Indian restaurants in town and tried both of their lunch buffets. Further investigation will have to be made into the off the menu experience. Honestly, I think Nawab surpasses Swagat. They are identically prices, but Nawab wins based on ambiance and variety.

The music, colors, and decoration just felt more thought out. The buffet had a few extra dishes plus a few more dessert options. Even as the Sunday crowd came pouring in just behind us, they had no problem keeping the buffet well stocked with rice and naan. This always seems to be one of the major weaknesses of a lot of these buffets.

Today they had a large, heated wok (I do forget the name of that cooking utensil, please forgive me) full of little fried potato/veggie pancakes. There was the typical rice, bread, pakora, and tandoori chicken. What stood out to me were the chicken masalas and nav ratan korma. Rounding out the selection was the palak and a creamy veggie paneer.

This buffet also boasted a few more salad options than usual. The condiments were typical: pickle, tamarind, raita, and mint chutney. It would be fun to have something a little different now and again, but these were all tastey none the less.

Unlike Swagat, they had three dessert options, two of which I actually tried. The keer was just right, though I would have liked a golden raisen or two. There was a fruit and cream dish, that was something like a thick whipped cream studded with apple chunks and spiced with saffron and cardamon. There was also a carrot pudding that I didn't try. I will assume it was as great as the rest. I've had various carrot puddings and none hit the spot for me, but others love it.

Service was friendly and attentive as your average busy restaurant. I have no complaints. Two buffets and just water to drink will run you just under $20. I will say the buffets in this town are more expensive than any other similar restaurants I've ever eaten (including L.A.), where most buffets average $7.00. Oh well, it was still worth the experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Web eatingroanoke.blogspot.com